Thursday, June 21, 2012

Interview with a New Article Booster

As I said in my other post, this week will be NAB week. I'll be sharing interviews, tips, and just talking about how great it is to be on wikiHow. Sit back, relax and enjoy the interview!

Tonight, I'm interviewing Matt, AKA, Illneedasaviour.

Matt has been editing our site for almost a year. He recently became an NAB in May 2012, and he loves it!

Me: Why did you *want* to take the New Article Booster test?

Matt: I wanted to take the test because I wanted to give myself a challenge and test my overall copyediting skills on new and often low-quality articles.

Me: Did you put any thought into it? Like, "Should I do this","Should I wait", etc..

Matt: No, I started right when I met the 300 edits requirement. But I actually had to retake the first part twice before moving on.

Me: What's your favorite part of Boosting?

Matt: Reading all kinds of articles and learning a lot, especially from articles that earn Rising Stars.

Me: One of our other New Article Booster's said you need tough skin and dedication - What's your drive for doing this? Being consistent, you know.

Matt: I think that's true in some ways. In NAB, you often deal with articles that need to be rewritten entirely. If you're not able to handle that much writing, I don't think you're cut out to be a booster. Personally, I look for articles that appeal to me - topics I have a lot of experience in. It makes it much easier to write.

Me: And, anything random about Boosting you'd like to add?

Matt: I think there are a number of ways you can contribute in NAB. Ifyou want a challenge, find an article to copyedit. If you're not up for much writing, find duplicate articles and NFD - two clicks and you're done!

Once you become accepted as a booster, you need to have the deletion policy memorized. Looking at an article, you should be able to classify it as a joke page, advert, or as incomplete in just five seconds. Keep in mind that adding NFD tags when it isn't necessary is definitely *not* allowed. NAB should not be used as a shortcut to increase your edit count.


Very well said, at wikiHow, we have a little saying. "Quality is better than quantity" - Meaning, don't rush, 5 good edits aren't as good as 2 great edits, so always have quantity! That's tonight's interview with a New Article Booster! Hope you enjoyed it, more blogging to come! http://www.wikihow.com

June Days

No comments:

Post a Comment