Friday, June 29, 2012

wikiHow Spammers

Every website has its spammers, and you know? wikiHow is no exception. wikiHow is on the charts and is the 150th most popular site on the 'net. Popular enough to attract its trolls, vandals and unwelcome visitors.

I've gotten bugged by about a million users, however, I try to keep my cool. ;) Here are few tips of my own:

  • Assume good faith. It's kind of a wikiHow motto - If a user makes a mistake, you should assume that they meant well, the edit just didn't come out that way.
  • Turn any anger into the will to help. I love to help, if they're having trouble with something, it may be annoying to yourself, however, they're still in need of help, and, if you were them, you'd want help, too.
  • Always remain calm and never show annoyance. Being cool and calm usually stumps the troll, if they're doing it on purpose. Also, vandals usually vandalize if someone's getting mad. Any response from you, good or bad, is good to them - They just want to be noticed. Take the time to help them - Who knows? You might make a new friend along the way!

That's just a few of my tips, here's an article I wrote about it.

Later today, I'll be posting more tips on dealing with vandals, until then! http://www.wikihow.com

June Days

No comments:

Post a Comment